Pages

Post Summer Session Reflections & Lake-Side Adventures

Summer school is finally over! I've spent the past six weeks in foreign territory getting the hang of university life through condensed courses, spending time in the company of brand new faces, and adjusting to balance of demands that university life commands; and I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to be a part of the program.

There's no denying that I had a rough start - check out this post from a couple weeks ago. Being constantly surrounded by unbearably immature freshmen takes it's toll on one's soul. It is exhausting; almost suffocating at times. Not to mention my shock at seeing some of the less than pleasant sides of the university; i.e. the pride in partying. I'm interested to see how it all changes in the fall when I'm around more than freshman - I'm praying it's different. But until then - about one more week before the beginning of the fall semester - I'm soaking up every second of down-time that I can afford.

Come the 17th (next weekend) I'll be moving back down to Pullman again, this time much longer than six weeks, this time for an entire two semester school year. Which means in eight months I will be verified into my field of passion, finished with my entire first year of university education...and  I'll be back in Arizona with the ones whom I love! Eight months seems long, and incredibly short all at once. Intimidating and exhilarating. Insurmountable and achievable.

College is hard. In preparing to go, everyone always tells you the positives and carefully leaves out the downfalls.  They conveniently forget to mention the fact that adjusting is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. They're quick to tell you about all the amazing people you will meet, but they leave out the parts about the ones that you can't stand. Everyone reminds you that it's an investment in your future, but not so many of them are quick to admit the challenge in the present. There's no doubt in my mind that this summer has taught me, molded me, and changed me - but it feels like it all hit me so quick and hard. Like a steamroller out of nowhere..

All that being said, I'm glad that I'm done with summer classes. I'll be coming into my first year with almost twenty credits thanks to high school prerequisites and these classes, which is HUGE, the quicker I can get into my major, the better!


*Cue the pictures of the beautiful lakeside landscape*

Upon coming back home, my family was invited out to the lake house of one of my Mom's coworkers where we spent our Sunday in the warm sun and not-so-warm waters of the lake. It was a beautiful day indeed. I got to go tubing for the first time! (Maybe not the greatest since I think I may have tweaked my already bad back - but so worth it!) 

It's an interesting thing to come from the desert of Arizona to the luscious land of Washington where the lakes are actually natural and not entirely man-made like the poor excuses for bodies of water that we have back in Arizona. (Maybe not poor excuses, they are beautiful - but once you experience the natural beauty that these waters have to offer there is a tangible difference between the states.) After all, the water here is actually a pretty color, and you can see through to your feet - a feat that not many of the waterside places I have been to in Arizona have accomplished quite as well. 

Between hummingbirds stopping by, adorable kids, fresh water, and the mountain air it was a truly beautiful day. 

A couple days after this venture, I received a phone call from one of the "3 man wolf pack" who I had met through the summer session at WSU. Turns out that we only live about forty minutes from each other, and he lives on the lake. He invited me to come spend the day at his house on Wednesday with his family and some of their friends. 

So we spent the day in the sunshine, me on the back of the wave runner as he showed me around and in the front of the boat documenting via my camera as he and his dad showed off their skills water skiing, wake boarding, and kneeboarding. If I could do half of what they were doing I would feel pretty great about myself - seriously,  these guys are talented...but I guess growing up on a lake does nothing to impair them. 


And, of course, with all the footage I gathered, a video had to be made, so here it is: 

(I apologize for the language, but I think we're all old enough to handle it ;)



P.S.  I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

-Amethyst

No comments:

Post a Comment